Slo Mo: A Podcast with Mo Gawdat
Suneel Gupta (Part 2) - The Importance of Storytelling and Your Collaborator, Coach, Cheerleader, and Critic
Mar 20, 2021
Mo Gawdat and Suneel Gupta
This is part 2 of my interview with Suneel Gupta. I absolutely loved this conversation and I have no doubt it will be useful for you. Suneel is an amazing and genuine human being with pure gold to offer.
Suneel is the founder of RISE and faculty member at Harvard University. Using the seven steps inside his latest book, Backable
- which teaches that the “It-factor” is learnable and needed to convince others to back you - Suneel went from being 'the face of failure' for the New York Times to being the “New Face of Innovation” for the New York Stock Exchange. His ideas have been backed by firms like Greylock and Google Ventures, and he has invested in startups including Airbnb, Calm, and SpaceX. Suneel also serves as an emissary for Gross National Happiness between the United States and the Kingdom of Bhutan.
Listen as we discuss:
- The importance of one central character in storytelling to become backable
- The advice Tim Ferriss gave Suneel on his business pitch
- Every deal is closed on emotion, not numbers.
- Neutralize the negative and emphasize the inevitably of the idea
- "Give me something that I can't easily find on Google", a hidden insight, an earned secret
- Practice does indeed make perfect, and you can still pitch naturally with tons of it.
- The 4 C's of Becoming Backable
- Ask not what is good for the world but what makes you come alive.
Connect with Suneel Gupta on Instagram @suneelgupta, Facebook @suneelgupta, Twitter @suneel, and his website, backable.com
Don't forget to subscribe to Slo Mo for new episodes every Sunday and Thursday. Only with your help can we reach One Billion Happy #onebillionhappy.