Slo Mo: A Podcast with Mo Gawdat
Sir Peter Vardy - The Secrets to Making Money and How to Use It for a Better World (and You)
Apr 22, 2021
Mo Gawdat and Sir Peter Vardy
Today’s guest is Sir Peter Vardy, the British businessman and philanthropist who is one of the wealthiest men in the UK. Having had great success in the automotive industry, Sir Peter’s life as of quite some time has been focused on philanthropy through his personal foundation, the Vardy Foundation, which supports a wide range of community causes. He helped to fund the building of a City Technology College and three academies, which together form the Emmanuel Schools Foundation- a coalition of schools with a Christian ethos.
His foundation continues to make grants and provide support to a wide range of charitable causes including fighting homelessness and modern slavery, establishing hospitals and food banks, and providing education to children, for which he was granted a knighthood.
Listen as we discuss:
- How Sir Peter became one of the top automotive dealers in the world.
- Focus on values, not profit, for long-term success.
- Engaging staff is critical to source good ideas and keep everyone happy.
- You'll never be happy chasing money because you'll always want more.
- Sir Peter left school at 16, but he decided to help build schools and save failing ones.
- What are the secrets of making money?
- "A vision without strategy is hallucination."
- Sir Peter believes God has blessed him with so much wealth to help others.
- Reforming the care system in the UK through an army of volunteers.
- Money doesn't make you happy.
- How Sir Peter lost his son at 5 years old, and delved into business hard.
- Why don't all wealthy people give away money?
- Look for what excites you or makes you angry, and do something about it.
Don't forget to subscribe to Slo Mo for new episodes every Sunday and Thursday. Only with your help can we reach One Billion Happy #onebillionhappy